Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited is a financial services holding company which, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in property and casualty insurance and reinsurance and investment management. Fairfax's corporate objective is to achieve a high rate of return on invested capital and build long-term shareholder value.
As a member of the Fairfax Finance team, the Financial Analyst Co-op will work closely with senior members of Fairfax’s Finance team. The Financial Analyst Co-op will contribute to the external reporting process as well as participate in other internal Finance projects. Fairfax’s Finance team, led by a group of highly experienced CPA, CAs, has an oversight or direct role in the company’s external financial reporting, acquisitions and divestitures, internal controls over financial reporting, quarterly and annual financial planning, prospectus filings and investment accounting.
- Assist with the compilation of Fairfax’s Interim and Annual Reports, inclusive of note disclosure and Management’s Discussion and Analysis. This will involve retrieving and analyzing reports from the company’s financial reporting system (Hyperion) and populating relevant financial information into the company’s financial statement reporting tool (Webfilings);
- Populate Interim and Annual Report comparative disclosure based on prior period published reports;
- Assist with preparation of the quarterly Board/Audit Committee reports;
- Assist with preparation of technical accounting memos, including technical research and analysis of recent acquisitions and portfolio investments;
- Assist with the annual fiscal planning process which will involve consolidation and preparation of reports for Fairfax’s Board members;
- Analyze Fairfax’s financial reporting processes and make recommendations that will improve the efficiency of the Finance team’s quarter-end close process;
- Interact and co-ordinate with the company’s external auditors, PwC, on review and audit requests.
- Assist with special projects (which may include modeling the financial impact of prospective transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, preparing prospectuses and other external documents, analyzing and documenting new portfolio investments, etc.), key financial initiatives and ad-hoc analysis as needed.
- Working towards an undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Economics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Motivated, detail-oriented, team player.
- Willingness and ability to operate effectively beyond one’s current spectrum of expertise or experience.
- Ability to incorporate new technologies into work flows.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Powerpoint) applications.
The Fairfax Co-op Program is looking for innovative, talented, and self-motivated University of Waterloo students who are interested in domestic and international work experience throughout the Fairfax group of companies. For more information, please visit co-op.fairfax.ca and attend our information session on Jan. 20th at 11:30 am in TC 2218.