FairVentures is the innovation initiative of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., with the mandate to research, develop, partner and invest in innovative solutions to support the Fairfax family of companies. The Toronto FairVentures office is focused on investment diligence and finding the right strategic partners.
Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited is a financial services holding company which, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in property and casualty insurance and reinsurance and investment management.
As a member of the Fairfax Investment Accounting team, the Financial Analyst Co-op will work closely with members of the company’s investment accounting team. The Financial Analyst Co-op will contribute to the day-to-day operations of the company’s back office as well as participate in other internal projects. Fairfax’s investment accounting team, led by a group of highly experienced CPA, CAs and CFAs, has an oversight or direct role in the company’s external and internal reporting and valuation process for the company’s multi-billion investment portfolio.
- Assist with the company’s day-to-day operations and monthly close process of the investment accounting function;
- Assist with the company’s collateral process with counterparties. This will involve processing margin calls in accordance with established procedures and recording daily work into a data tracking system for accuracy.
- Assist with the compilation of Fairfax’s Interim and Annual Reports, inclusive of note disclosure and Management’s Discussion and Analysis. This will involve retrieving and analyzing reports from the company’s investment subledger system (PAM) for relevant financial information to populate the company’s financial statements.
- Assist with preparation of monthly/quarterly valuations of vanilla and exotic securities, including technical research of companies and preparation of valuation models.
- Assist with the preparation of technical accounting memos, including technical research and analysis of recent portfolio investments.
- Interact and co-ordinate with the company’s external auditors, PwC, on review and audit requests
- Assist with special projects (which may include key financial initiatives and ad-hoc analysis) as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Motivated, detail-oriented, team player.
- Willingness and ability to operate effectively beyond one’s current spectrum of expertise or experience.
- Ability to incorporate new technologies into work flows.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Powerpoint) applications.
The Fairfax Co-op Program is looking for innovative, talented, and self-motivated University of Waterloo students who are interested in domestic and international work experience throughout the Fairfax group of companies.
For more information, please visit co-op.fairfax.ca and attend our information session on Jan. 20th at 11:30 am in TC 2218.
As well required - security clearance